Montag, 28. November 2011

glazed swede

I started this blog after I got into the finals of a recipe competition with a recipe for swede. When I grew up, swedes were as big as babies´ heads, my dad used to take them outside to chop them up with an axe, no kidding. But there was only one way to eat them. Cooked with potatoes and carrots and mashed up. I used to like that. Well, I still do. Without the sausages that went with it. But this turned out nicely as well -

1 medium swede, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cardamom
1tbsp orange marmelade, or grated orange rind
1 tbsp palm sugar, grated
plenty of freshly ground pepper
dash of lemon or orange juice
2 tbsp roughly chopped pistachios

Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Fry the swede for a few minutes, then add the salt and cardamom. Continue to stir-fry, then add marmelade and sugar. Stir-fry and allow to caramelise. Keep stirring until cooked, then season with pepper and lemon juice. Garnish with pistachios to serve. Goes nicely with couscous.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen